Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Installation Day

New washer and dryer
I took Monday off to get things in order. Someone had to be at Fairhaven for all the appointments that were scheduled throughout the day. The original plan was for Jord to stay home as well – after all, it was his birthday – but he was too busy at work and couldn’t swing it.

So the day began with the electrician arriving at 9:45am. He was there to install an outlet for the microwave – it had to be in a specific spot with a specific wattage. He had a bit of trouble due to the bathroom that shares the wall he was working on. A job that was planned to take less than two hours took more than three hours plus a trip to Lowe’s. While he was there, the Sears deliverymen pulled up in a Penske truck. Their truck broke down, so they were about 30 minutes later than the two-hour window they had scheduled. With them came the washer and dryer as well as a janky refrigerator. As they unpacked the fridge on the back of the truck, they discovered scratches and rust. The guy was honest with me and asked what they should do. Of the options I was provided, I chose to have them bring in the fridge to use in the meantime while we wait for our new unit. He got customer service on the phone, and they said they could have had a new fridge delivered as soon as Tuesday, but I asked them to send it with the stove that comes October 6th to avoid another delivery.

Next up was Mediacom, unbeknownst to me. As the guy pulled up, I called Jord panicked as I didn’t know they were on the agenda and I knew the TV was sitting downstairs rather than in the den, where it needed to be. Of course, the guy couldn’t move it for liability reasons, and even though I tried, I couldn’t do it either. So Jord stopped home to move the TV – good thing his office is so close! Just before he arrived, another Sears delivery brought the dishwasher and microwave.

I didn’t accomplish as much throughout the day as I had planned, but with everything stacked up and heavy furniture in the front of the pile, I couldn’t be very productive. I did some cleaning and unpacked a box or two, but that’s about it. By the time everyone had left, it was going on 5:00 and I had to get out of there. I headed to DQ for Jord’s ice cream cake, but he called me on the way and said he was at Fairhaven, so I quickly picked up the cake, dropped it at my parents’, grabbed a pizza from Little Caesar’s, and went back. We ate our first meal at the house – it was gross pizza on the sun porch, so we’d like to think it didn’t really count. Our neighbor Rich stopped by shortly thereafter with a tool that we had been looking for on Sunday to remove fence posts. With that handy tool, it was done in the blink of an eye! Check that off the list!

Together, Jord and I were able to get some things done. We had to get back to my parents’ by 8:30 for cake, so we hustled to organize the chaos and unpack some boxes. We’re at the mercy of the painters at this point – a lot of little stuff still needs to be fixed, plus the kitchen cabinets aren’t done yet. Hopefully they will get everything done, interior and exterior, this week so we can move on from the painting. That’s been going on since the day we closed on the house – way too long!

No comments:

Post a Comment