Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Okoboji

Regals defeat Solon
Labor Day weekend started out with an exciting Regina football victory on Friday night against Solon, although Jord and Sarah didn’t appreciate coming home to a virtually empty house in Davenport. My dad, Luke and I spent the evening cheering on my cousin Joe with the Strangs, our Friday night ritual this fall.

Saturday morning had a later start than planned, but once we hit the road we made record time and were at The Taco House in only five hours. Sarah and I spent the car ride discussing house details (between naps) – I brought along my guide to all things house-related, Domino, The Book of Decorating, plus some old magazines, furniture catalogues, paint samples and door brochures. The looming closing day was on our mind throughout the weekend, so we tried making a game plan to ensure nothing would fall through the cracks.

We really had a nice time in Okoboji, despite the ever-changing weather. Labor Day is a little late in the season to head to the lake, but with my mom’s summer swimming lessons, it’s impossible to get away any earlier. We hit up the usual spots: Taco House, O’Farrell Sisters, Nutty Bar Stand. Can you tell my favorite part of the trip was eating? Along the way, we also went to Arnold’s Park, rented a boat, shopped at the Three Sons, Vick’s Corner and the Emporium, hung out on the beach at Gull Point, watched two lakefront weddings from our hotel room at The Inn, and took a complete drive around the lake. All in all, I think it was the ideal setting to celebrate my dad’s milestone birthday! My goal of the trip was to find an old map of the lake – the ones that list all the homeowners with lakefront property – that included the Collins house. After looking through the flea market at Vick’s Corner, then a few random stops at antique stores, my outlook was dismal.
1975 West Lake Okoboji poster
We visited one last store on our drive around the lake. Luckily my dad asked the salesclerk, who pulled out a 1975 version from a closet. After the store owner agreed to sell it, we all waited anxiously while she decided on a price… 35 bucks! Done! Not sure where it will go in the house yet, but I’m so happy we found it.

No comments:

Post a Comment