Thursday, February 24, 2011

Menu Planning

We met with the caterer this week. My plan for the party was a potato bar. Since it’s a Friday during lent, I thought it would be appropriate with the added bonus that it’s a traditional Irish food. I envisioned an assortment of potato dishes, from mashed to fried. Not everyone agreed with me, so we’re compromising with a variety of Irish fare. Of course there will be potatoes – it wouldn’t be a Collins gathering without them!

Here is a taste of the modified plan – I don’t want to give it all away yet. There is sure to be a vat of cheese and Guinness fondue, along with potato pancakes topped with an assortment of seafood, from smoked salmon to shrimp. And for dessert, chocolate cups filled with Bailey’s. If this doesn’t get you in the mood for St. Patrick’s Day, I don’t know what will!

First encounter with a Fat Frog!
As for cocktails, we’re keeping it simple: Green beer and Smithwicks, wine and Fat Frogs. The latter originated from visiting a pub in Dublin on spring break 2005, when some local ladies saw our green beads and wanted to know where to get them. We ended up giving them a few strands, and to show their gratitude they told us to head to a certain bar (I’ve since forgotten the name but would be able to find my way back should I have the opportunity) and order a Fat Frog. We did so immediately and I’ll be forever grateful to those Irish lasses! We all agreed that the drink was scrumptious, and despite the steep price for a group of college girls, we ordered another round to watch the bartender mix the drink to see what it was made out of. And although I can never find the exact ingredients to recreate the drink, I make my own version of this green concoction every year on St. Patrick’s Day. Sure and b’geezus, we’ll all have a grand time!

2 comments: