Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Bixbrai Weekend

What a wonderful weekend! Bix, Ragbrai, my Dad’s birthday, Sarah’s five year high school reunion – all packed into one day!

Jord and Luke at the River Bandits game

Well, actually my fun festivities began on Thursday night. We had dinner with Jord’s family, then picked up my Dad and Luke for the River Bandits game. It was boiling hot but totally worth it. Modern Woodmen Park is such a nice ballpark! It was only our 2nd game of the season, but I see many more in our future.

Unfortunately, I had to work a half day on Friday. But then I was off to Mamie’s pool for a luxurious afternoon of lounging. After a few hours of relaxation, I was back at home to prepare for the remainder of the weekend. I played Suzy homemaker inside, cooking and cleaning, while Jord tended to the yard.

Wontons - our favorite

Sarah enjoying the fruit skewers

Yummy muffins

I was up bright and early on Saturday morning to get breakfast ready to take with us to the Bix course. We found our usual spot at the bottom of McClellan and set-up our little cheering section. I had made some finger foods: a new kind of wonton, this version with hashbrowns, eggs, cheese, sausage with a dollop of sour cream; fruit skewers; and muffins with a cream cheese center. And of course we enjoyed some blood red mimosas while watching the runners. It was just the start to the day that we all needed. Once we had our fill, we packed it in and went back to our house to relax. We ended up doing a little shopping in the East Village before heading west to watch the Ragbrai bikers dip their front bike wheels into the Mississippi (as a symbol of completion). It was my first experience watching the Ragbrai group – what an amazing tradition! That evening we had to part ways: Sarah to Jersey Grille for her five year high school reunion, the rest of us to downtown Davenport for the Bix street fest. It was a long, fun day!

Ragbrai riders dipping their front wheels in the river

Sunday was much more laid back. We enjoyed a morning of Mexican breakfast and swimming at Mamie’s. Then my mom, Sarah and I made apple crisp for my dad’s birthday treat. And that was about it!

Apple crisp - my dad's birthday treat

No comments:

Post a Comment