Monday, October 11, 2010

Five Years

Joe Strang with Luke after
the Regals victory
Friday marked our 5th wedding anniversary. How did we commemorate the occasion, you ask? We headed to Iowa City for the Strang’s annual football party and the Regina game. What better way to spend a milestone than with family! At some point I’m sure we’ll go out to dinner to celebrate on our own, or maybe I’ll cook once we have that damn stove!

On Saturday morning, Aunt Sarah stopped by for some delicious breakfast pizza and to take a quick look at our new digs. After she left, my mom and I popped over to an estate sale just a few houses away for a quick look. Figuring that I wouldn’t find anything noteworthy, I left my wallet at home. Big mistake! I cleaned the place out and found some great pieces for the house – a set of wingback chairs, an outdoor table with two matching chairs, and various knick-knacks. Luckily the house was so close and we took a couple trips back and forth to bring my new finds home. We then had an event to help out with, so we high-tailed it out of town. My mom has rounded up some business for us from her co-workers at Adams Elementary – another mother-of-the-bride asked us to assist with her daughter’s wedding. They asked us to manage the reception – lighting candles, preparing food, refilling the refreshment table, cutting the cake. We’ve done this a few times before to gain experience should our fictional event planning business ever become a reality. Each time the requests are a little different, so it’s always insightful. This event was out in New Windsor, IL, at the Big Red Barn. The site is idyllic for a country wedding, although a little difficult to find. My parents and I got out there at noon – we needed my dad this time as there was cooking involved. It ended up being a long, hard 11-hour day of grunt work, but we came away with another reference. Chalk it up to experience!

Sunday brought more landscaping. Our help has diminished, so Jord and I spent about five hours in the front yard working on the pavers. I don’t blame them – I’m sick of the yard work too! We have this little path from the driveway to the front entry that was in pretty bad condition. The pavers were crooked and not spaced evenly, plus there were weeds galore. So we removed all the pavers, dug up the grass/weeds and replaced the stone. The hardest part was aligning them, but Jord brought out the twine and we created a guide that worked well. Luckily the same stone was in the backyard, so we borrowed three more pavers for the front. Once we lay the mulch, that’s one more project that we can check off the list. The painters should be back this week to finish up the exterior, then we have a few last things to do in the front and we’ll be done until spring. This includes planting tulip and hyacinth bulbs, planting the items we bought at Green Thumbers, laying grass seed and installing the new lighting. Hopefully the weather holds out a few more weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment