Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Christmas 2010 Wrap-up

Sledding at Duck Creek Park

What a whirlwind! Christmas festivities started on Thursday with baking goodies. I was charged with bringing cookies to the Cunnick's house on Christmas Eve. Unfortunately the cookies I attempted to make, twice, did not turn out. So onto plan B with Sarah making cake balls, which were a big hit. I had ordered an assortment of six dozen treats from Southpark Bakery as I knew I wouldn't be able to provide enough homemade cookies for the Collins gathering. So there was a good mix! Sarah and I were able to step away from the kitchen for sledding with Luke, which only lasted two trips down the hill - once with Baca and once with Sarah. Then over for dinner at the Maus'. We have a tradition that's developed over the last couple years to spend December 23rd eating enchiladas over there. So delicious, and we managed to bring home a handful to enjoy. Sarah, Jord and I ended up at 11th Street Precinct and had a little too much fun.

Opening presents at Granny & Baca's house
Friday morning was spent at my parents' house opening presents with Luke. It was a nice change to be able to sit and enjoy the moment, instead of squeezing everything in on Christmas day. We received so many amazing gifts, and I can't even decide which is my favorite. I added to my collections of both cake plates and champagne glasses, and of course Jord has more loot for his Cubs room. We left there to get home to do some cleaning in preparation for Christmas morning brunch, recovered from the previous night, and assembled the cookie platter. We made it over to the Cunnick's and were the first to arrive. Because of the snow, we were missing the Strangs and Uncle Pat. More potatoes for us! It was very quiet, and a much different dynamic than in years past. Uncle Pat had my name in the drawing, so he had sent his gift in the mail - a lovely piece of his artwork. Can't wait to get it framed and find the perfect spot for it! We were too tired to make it to midnight mass, so we were home early and in bed by 10pm.

Cookie tray for Cunnick's gathering
Christmas day arrived and the chaos began. We cleaned a bit before 8:30am mass, then made it back to get the cooking started. Actually, we didn't have much to do as my dad was bringing the food - ham, scalloped potatoes, asparagus. Of course we had an abundance of bread and leftover treats. And the liquor! Aunt Sarah and Uncle Will couldn't make it to town, so we were with Grandma for about four hours. So the  cocktails were flowing and the meal went as well as can be expected. We herded them out and left for Jord's family Christmas at his Grandma's house. Stayed a few hours, then over to his mom's to open gifts. Enjoyed a bit of quiet time over there to round out the day.

Artwork from Uncle Pat
Sunday brought lunch at Olive Garden, another Maus family tradition. I love how most of the traditions revolve around eating! Then back to our house to do some more hosting. Mamie along with Uncle David and his family stopped over to watch the Bears game and see the house. We spent the afternoon snacking, and I even tried a new recipe - cheesy sausage won tons. Before we knew it, the weekend was over and we were exhausted. Good thing I have the whole week off from work! Jord is in the office and busier than ever, so he doesn't get a break. But I have a whole list of things to accomplish so hopefully I can keep on task and get things done while he's working!

No comments:

Post a Comment