Sunday, December 12, 2010

Weather Permitting

The weather halted my plans for the weekend. I had been looking forward to spending Saturday in Iowa City, being Sarah Dougherty’s assistant at the annual What a Load of Craft event. Then I was going to head over to the Strang’s condo to see their Christmas décor, Marcia’s themed Country Christmas vs. Kelly & Molly’s P. Diddy White Party Christmas (Meagan serves as a floater between the two), and stay the night to enjoy some crafting and boozing. It was too good to be true, and the winter weather kept me in Davenport. All wasn't lost and it turned out to be a great day, beginning with breakfast at Harlan's - trucker special, of course - and shopping in the East Village with my mom. I ended up spending way too much money at one of my new favorites, Almost Paris Antiques.

Today we had to get back on track. Last week I kept reality at bay and didn’t work on any projects. Now that Christmas is looming and we’ll be having more guests, I made a priority list and we got to work. Carpenter installed three of our fifteen new doors last week so Jord will start the process of painting those. He braved the bitter cold to do some chores outside, so I kept his honey-do list to a minimum for the day. I was busy with painting in the basement – the base of a table that we bought at an estate sale, the base of a stool we bought at yet another estate sale, and the frame of a broken mirror found in my parents’ garage, among other items.

We have a bevy of activity coming up. The picture window and sliding glass door should be installed in the next couple weeks, the attic insulation is being completed next Monday, Carpenter is going to finish replacing the doors and will work on the under-sink cabinet in the kitchen. I have the Junior League Christmas party on Tuesday and will have some of my mom's Adams co-workers over for cocktails on Thursday. Next weekend I’m going to Chicago to finally see Sarah’s apartment, now that it's furnished, and get some Christmas shopping done, a task that I normally have accomplished by now. Plus, I have a growing IKEA list of household items. Hopefully everything fits in the car for the ride back!

No comments:

Post a Comment