Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Community Involvement

Tonight I attended my first Junior League meeting. I never felt a connection to Oak Park, so I wasn’t motivated to get involved. Now that we’re in Davenport for the long haul, I want to have a positive impact, no matter how small. Junior League feels like it will be a good start to meeting people and becoming an active member of the community. I have also joined the St. Patrick Society, although I haven’t made it to any meetings yet. I’m in the process of starting a Junior Circle, not to be confused with Junior League, for the area to stay connected with Alpha Gams who live close-by. In the meantime, we’re trying to think of a way for Jord to get involved, but the only thing that’s sparked his interest thus far is an indoor soccer league. That’s a good way to meet people too, I guess.

Junior League is a volunteer organization for women. They only accept new members in the fall, so I just made the deadline. I’ll be a provisional member until spring and will have to earn so many points, through attending functions and volunteer opportunities, to become an active member. I saw some familiar faces tonight and met a lot of new women as well. I think this group will be a good balance between volunteering and socializing.

No comments:

Post a Comment