Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Lighting

My rejuvenated office light
fixture found at Habitat Restore
The light fixtures were installed over the last few days for the office, sun porch and exterior. This is what I’ve been waiting for – it really makes a difference to have good lighting, in my opinion. The office light is one that I found at Habitat Restore that just needed some white paint. I hadn’t even noticed the inside gold detail of the black shades before it was hung! It really adds some glamour to paying bills and blogging.

The sun porch light was in Sarah’s room at my parents’ house, but since she moved and the room was converted into Luke’s train room, the Tiffany blue chandelier didn’t exactly match the décor. So I found a more masculine fixture for his room and inherited the other light. Although it’s been installed, it isn’t functioning yet as there is some trouble with the wiring to the sun porch. It looks fabulous though!

The exterior lighting was a bit complicated. I found some inexpensive sconces to place at each door. I modeled it after a photo from an old issue of Blueprint that I’ve always admired, but not everyone was in favor of the fixtures. Now that they’ve been installed, I’m glad I stuck to my guns because it’s just what I’d imagined. The light pole in the front yard was replaced while I was out of town on Saturday. Apparently they had to rent a jackhammer to remove the old light, so it ended up being more of a project than anticipated. Unfortunately the instructions for the new pole required sinking it five feet into cement, so it’s not as tall and grand as I had imagined. It’s definitely an improvement to the rickety one that we replaced! Our street is really dark – like, scary dark – at night, so it improves visibility.

The dining room light will be installed next week sometime. I’m still in search of fixtures for the den, kitchen and living room. I’ve found plenty of options but haven’t been in a hurry to purchase. I guess I want to hold out in case something unique comes along. Plus, as Jord says, I have “champagne taste on an imported bottle beer budget”.

No comments:

Post a Comment