Tuesday, January 25, 2011

St. Patrick Society


I attended my first St. Patrick Society meeting last night. My dad, Jord and I went together, and of course my dad knew just about everyone in the room. We walked into the Knights of Columbus and found our way to the basement where a handful of members had already congregated along with the board of directors. The meeting was called to order and the new members were asked to introduce themselves, meaning Jord and me. We were the youngest people in the room by about 20 years. The next order of business was to announce the grand marshal. The board had voted just minutes before we arrived and unanimously selected my dad! Yes, my dad will be the grand marshal of the Quad Cities St. Patrick’s Day Grand Parade 2011, just as my Papa was in 1992. This is the first time that the second generation of a past grand marshal has been chosen. What an honor for the Collins clan! Of course as they announced this I proceeded to cry uncontrollably, overcome with emotions. I tried to get a grip, and be attentive to the remainder of the agenda items, but my mind was racing. We have to get him a green tweed jacket, we need to plan a party, we have to tell Mamie before someone else has the chance! The next seven weeks leading up to the parade and other festivities are going to be exciting and hectic, but I couldn’t be happier for my dad. Needless to say, it was a memorable first meeting. Let the preparations begin and mark your calendar for parade day, March 12th!

No comments:

Post a Comment